Thursday, October 15, 2015

Deadly Horror Reviews Interview with Bill Zebub



 1- Who are you biggest influences as a filmmkaer & what drives you?

i don't have any influences.  I've actually been asking myself what drives me.
it's definitely not money.  I've always been involved in creative pursuits,
like writing, music, and of course, filming.  I know that most people hate what
I make, so i am not driven by a need to gain acceptance or praise.  I do what i
do but i don't know why.



 2- The world is changing & it seems there is not a lot of outlets anymore for
 physical media how do you feel about that?

I had laughed at the idea of people downloading or streaming.  I treasured my
physical media and couldn't imagine how someone would be content with a stream
or a burned copy..  The trends of today show me that i am not generalize-able to
the masses.  I have a curse in which I can only succeed if i fail at the same
time.  My movies had become big in a certain national chain of stores, but when
a douchebag district manager entered a store and saw employees going bananas
over the new shipment of my craziness, he took a few flicks into the office and
took a look.  He was so outraged that he threatened the guy who decides which
movies get accepted by the chain - he said that if my movies weren't recalled
then he would go up the corporate ladder.  That sucked.  But my movies slowly
got in afterward, but 600 or so stores closed.  It would have been nice to ride
that cash cow for a bit before the collapse.  Anyway, yes, it seems that DVD
sections in stores are getting smaller, but their selection always sucked. I'm
not as affected by the changes in consumer behavior because my fans seek me out
and they actually support me.  I hope that there will always be physical media,
at least for my own viewing pleasure.  I buy most of my movies from indie
merchants because the big stores don't carry what i want.

 3- What do you have to say about today's Indie Horror Distributors &  What
 would you recommend to somebody just starting out?

I have kept away from most of the shady distros, except for one.  But I knew
that they were thieves ahead of time,  I basically looked at them as making free
promotional copies, ha ha.  You see, I have a huge amount of movies, so while I
got massively ripped off by a company in Arizona, they helped my movies to reach
people outside of my circle. But I wonder why no one has ever kiled the guy who
runs that distro.  Maybe one day.  At least a beating.  Maybe that's why he's in
Arizona.  He's fucking with peoples' livelihood.  As for people starting out,
stay away from distributors who require written warning before you want to
examine the bookkeeping.  They need time to cook the books.  My main distributor
is honorable in that sense.  I can log in at any time and see all numbers.  I
think that it's better to tell the fledgling producer that all companies have
pros and cons.  Just don't get conned. Don't sit on your ass.  If you get a
deal, you have to work.  The distributor is just there to get you accepted by
merchants.  The rest is up to you.

4- Your movies are quite unique they definitely Have a Bill Zebub Flavor to
 them was this by design?

 If I had bigger budgets then there would be more eyes on the projects.  In the
 script-writing phase I would be told that my dialogue doesn't drive the plot
 forward, or any of the oteher hundred things that separate it from a
 mainstream movie.  During the editing phase, the movie would surely be much
 different than if i were the one cutting it.  What i am trying to say is that
 my movies are the way that they are because I am the only one who makes
 decisions.  If I worked in a group then there would be limitations placed on
 my ways.  Corrections would be made.  I'm not against that.  It's just that i
 make at least five movies a year.  i don't have any idle time to wait for a
 group to form.  Maybe I will put together something in the future, but I just
 don't like the business part of making movies.  


 5- Whats next for you?

I am almost done with "Dickshark" which is my most absurd movie.  AS with most
of my movies, it is difficult to summarize.  Suffice it to say that it is
strange, with huge amounts of nudity for no reason.

 6- You seem to have a cult following , what do you think it takes for an indie
 filmmaker to develop a following?

Work.  Constant work. I know that Americans like to take shortcuts and to expend
as little effort as possible, but the only reason that i have any kind of name
or success is because i devoted my waking life to it.

 7- Please say something to the fans 

There are no legs in a truth table.


 8-Who is your Favorite Micro budget film director & why?

I don't think in those terms.  I don't have a favorite song, color, or sexual
position.  I have different moods, so what is enjoyed during one mood will be
hated in another.  I know a lot of indie people but i don't really watch their
movies.  It's not because I think that i am better.  I just don't have the time.
When i can give myself a couple of hours, i choose what i watch very carefully
because it's my reward.  Another reason why I don't watch much indie stuff is
because it's imitative.  It's people making audition movies for Hollywood.  At
least that is what it seems like to me.  It's like a d.j. playing requests
instead of personally selecting the music, for fear of rejection.  But another
reason why i don't watch movies of peers is because I don't want to see how
other people are doing things.  Like i said earlier, i have no influences, and
part of that is because I refuse to have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment